Sunday 7 June 2009

Day one with Malcolm - 8 weeks and 5 days old


When we got home the first thing I did was get him out of his box and put him in my garden so he could go to the loo. He wasnt interested in going to the loo with all these exciting new things to see!! Instead it was time to chew plants and chase people and introduce himself to Google, one of my cats. We had a little explore and then I popped him into his new playpen for 10 mins just so the other cats could see him and get used to him. My cat Spud didnt seem bothered by him but he was brought up with a pair of Alsatians until I got him so my little boy is nothing in comparison. Rocha was interested by the new creature sitting in her living room but wasnt nasty to it but she decided it needed watchin to make sure it didnt chew her toys or heaven forbid eat her food! Geoff was the cat I was most worried about seeing as he doesnt like change. However he just sat next to the pen watching pup for a while before getting bored and heading off outside to find a neighbourhood cat to terrorise instead. Now Karma was the biggest challenge. Having found Karma at the side of a road miles from any house when she was only 6 weeks old I thought the presense of a new animal might scare her. She has come round to me and is very much a mummies girl so I didnt want her to feel threaterned by the new pup. At first she puffed herself up so she looked twice her size and was doing her best to intimidate little pup. No such luck as he went bounding over to see her. Her response was to smack him on the head as hard as she could which caused Malcolm to scream as loud as he could and after this she seemed to relax knowing that she could beat this new animal up and her place in the order of things was safe. Little pup however told me that a giant panther sized animal had attacked him to within an inch of his life and dont I think I should give him lots of food so he gets over it. The truth is that within ten mins he had forgotten this event with Karma and was running at Spud as he ran past!

The rest of the day was spent playing and feeding Malcolm who has already developed a love of the garden and enjoys chasing me and biting my feet at every opportunity he gets.

As for toilet traning we only had one accident in the kitchen which lucky for me has a tilled floor. Every other time he has used his puppy training paper pads which is great as it means no mess and no smell. All in all I am very glad I picked the pup I did and he is really fitting in well.


No comments:

Post a Comment